Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Escape

I have little to no desire to do much of anything right now. I have work to go to, and I do, for about three hours a day. No one seems to notice. Everything is getting done that needs to get done, but many of my emails are being sent from my couch. I have been watching a lot of Outlander in the last few days. Outlander has kept me company out here more or less since we moved, and I've both finished the books (feverishly, hungrily) and am more or less caught up on the show (or as much as I can without cable), and I am a little sad not to have it available to me, to immerse in this world I've been lost in for close to the last year (while the last three books took me a month, the first five were more spaced out. This was before I got my priorities in a more appropriate order). Before Outlander it was the All Souls trilogy. I am a little embarassed. Not by my immoderation in consumption - this is nothing new, with respect to many things - but by my choice in reading material. I am a bit of a cultural elitist (ok a lot), as inherited from my mother, and whenever I tell someone I am reading them, I feel like I need to legitimize it, rationalize my enjoyment. They are the definition of my guilty pleasure. It has helped, though, to have an easy read. To have a vivid, engaging, fast-moving read. With vivid, engaging characters (who are played by devastatingly attractive people on television). I alternate with reading essays from Roxanne Gay, who is also super engaging and funny but I feel somewhat more scholarly.

When I didn't match for internship, Downton Abbey was my escape. Also red wine. When I was living apart from my boyfriend, who would go on to become my husband, it was The Hunger Games and Pinterest. I need to find somewhere to go hide, somewhere to get lost.

No comments: